Elder Program


Grant Application | Covered Repairs | Frequently Asked Questions | Return to Grant Programs

Elderly Assistance Program The Elder Program was established in accordance with the Comanche Nation Housing Authority's Indian Housing Plan and the Native American Housing and Self Determination Act of 1996 (NAHASDA).  This is a social benefit program for the promotion of the general welfare of the Comanche Nation, and is intended to qualify for tax free assistance under the Internal Revenue Service ("IRS") general welfare doctrine.

INCOME NOTE:  Comanche Tribal members over the age of 62 are exempt of any income requirement.  Click here for the current income limits.

If you are unsure if you qualify for this program, please contact the CNHA office for assistance.


Grant Funding

The CNHA Elder Program is a grant, subject to CNHA Useful Life restrictions, where applicable, providing a maximum of $8,000.00 in assistance for homes that are owner occupied.  Should more than one homeowner from the same household qualify for assistance, the maximum expenditure per house will be $8,000.00. Once an individual has utilized the maximum amount on their home, they will not be eligible for any other assistance from this program for a period of two (2) years.  

Program assistance is limited to funds available for participants as identified by allocated funds within the fiscal year.  The CNHA makes no guarantee that funds for the program will be available or that successful applicants will receive the maximum benefit under any category of assistance.   


Grant Application

There are two applications for this program based on the age of the applicant.  Please ensure you complete and submit the correct application for your age.  Applications can also be obtained from the CNHA office.

Once the application is processed and approved; an inspection will be scheduled to make an assessment of the requested repairs. If it is deemed to be an emergency, a work order will be submitted to the Maintenance Department to complete the work that requires to be done. 


Elder Program Application (Age 62 & Over)

Download an  Elder Program Application (Age 62 & Over) in Adobe PDF format.  This application includes form fields that can be used to enter your information electronically.  The application can then be printed and/or saved for your convenience.


Submit the completed application, signed Authorization for the Release of Information form, and the following documentation to the CNHA Office:

  • Copy of CDIB card
  • Proof of HOMEOWNERSHIP including legal description (i.e. deed, abstract of title etc.)
    NOTE: If a mortgage exists, the mortgage must be in the name of the Elder tribal member.
  • Proof of residency so that a determination may be made that the house to be repaired is OWNED by the Elder, in the Elder's name (proof must be in the form of a utility bill in the Elder's name, bearing the address of the residence.)
  • Proof of age


<< Top of Page


Covered Repairs

The Elder Program assistance will be provided, subject to availability of funds, in the following categories:

Category "A":  For emergency repair assistance all service must enhance habitability of housing, such as by remedying water, sewage, sanitation service, major electrical, or heating or cooling issues. 

Only the following services will be provided:

(1)  Plumbing issues involving water line breaks, hot water heater leaks, and sewer backups.

(2)  Heating or cooling system problems resulting in loss of heat or air conditioning to the home.

(3)  Electrical problems involving outlet, fixture and panel box sparking or shock hazards as well as service line problems involving loss of service to the home.

Category "B":  For other basic housing repairs and rehabilitation that enhance habitability and assist in meeting life and safety building code compliance standards of housing.  Benefits under this category shall include, but not be limited to, appliance replacement or repair  to enhance habitability of the home including, for example, home safety issues and the ability of an Elder to prepare and store meals safely within the home.  The appliance replacement or repairs are limited to range, cooktops, hoods/vents, ovens, refrigerators, washers and dryers.  Frequency of appliance replacement will be based on the typical life expectancy of the appliance and will be at the sole discretion of the Housing Authority.  Appliances are intended for the benefit of the eligible Elder applicant.  The Housing Authority may require the pick-up of the inoperable appliances before providing a replacement.

Category "C":  For minor renovation to existing home for improvements to adapt housing to special needs.  The purpose of this category is to conduct minor renovations to existing homes, when it is determined that the existing home cannot be repaired under Category "B", to meet further handicap accessibility and life safety improvement requirements that will advance the safety and quality of life within the home.  

The following services may be provided:

(1)  Handicap accessibility services limited to the following:  wider doorways, wheelchair ramps, easy access showers, bathroom railing at toilet and shower, handicap toilets, easy use plumbing fixtures, and door knobs. 

(2)  Construction, repair and/or installation of a storm shelter as means of ensuring habitability of the applicant's primary residence and improve personal safety.  Storm shelters shall be treated as part of the primary residence hereunder.

(3)  Window repair/replacement;

(4)  Roof repair/replacement;

(5)  Siding repair/replacement;

(6)  Kitchen and/or bathroom cabinets;

(7)  Interior/exterior doors and trim;

(8)  Replacement of flooring as needed;

(9)  Updating electrical and plumbing fixtures as needed.

<< Top of Page


Frequently Asked Questions

Q:  Who administers the CNHA Elder Program?
A:  The CNHA Elder Program is administered by the Housing Management Department of the Comanche Nation Housing Authority under funding provided by the Department of Housing and Urban Development and defined under the Indian Housing Plan.

Q:  How long will I have to wait for the repairs to my house? 
A:  The length of time it takes to accomplish the work to be done on your dwelling is dependent on:
 - Availability of funds;
 - The type of work to be done;
 - The climate and seasonal conditions where the home is located;
 - The availability of the field service work force;
 - Your position on the approved waiting list.
Note: You should update your application yearly. You must meet eligibility at the time of assistance.

Q:  Who is responsible for identifying what work will be done on my home?
A:  A CNHA representative and the applicant will work collectively to identify the work to be done on the home.  The CNHA will be responsible for communication and coordination of material and services to be accomplished by the CNHA maintenance personnel or contractor.

Q:  What will the Housing Authority do to identify what work is to be done on my home?
A:  First, a representative of the CNHA and the applicant or a representative will work together to identify what repairs need to be done under the CNHA Elder Program.  Second, based on the list of emergency repairs to be done, the CNHA representative will estimate the total cost of repair to your home not to exceed the maximum amount of $8,000.00.  The CNHA representative will ensure that Environmental Review Procedures including flood requirements are met in accordance with 1996 NAHASDA.

Q:  Who will perform the repair/rehabilitation of the work to be done?
A:  Qualified construction trade persons employed by this organization or qualified contractors will perform the repairs/rehabilitation to the home under the supervision provided by the Housing Authority.

Q:  Will I have to vacate my home while repair or rehabilitation work is being completed?
A:  You will be notified by the Housing Authority office that you must vacate your home if:
 - It is scheduled for major repairs or rehabilitation requiring that all occupants vacate the home for safety reasons; or
 - If the repairs or rehabilitation would leave the occupants without heat, electricity or water during a period of extreme temperatures.
If you are required to vacate the premises for the duration of the construction, the Housing Authority may assist you on a case by case basis.  The expense for relocation will be charged to the Elder Program.

Q:  How will I be advised that the work on my home has been completed?
A:  The Housing Authority office will advise you, in writing and in person, that the work has been completed.  You will have a final walk through of your home along with the assigned Housing Authority representative.  You will be requested to verify that you received a Notice of Completion of the work by signing a copy of the Notice.

Q:  What can I do if I disagree with action taken under the Housing Authority's Elder Program?
A:  You may appeal action by the CNHA's Elder Program in writing with all pertinent information, or request a hearing before the Executive Director who will render a final decision.

Q:  Who takes care of the maintenance after the repairs?
A:  The homeowner is responsible for all maintenance to the home once the warranty period (if any) ends.  If repairs or rehabilitation services do not carry a product or service warranty, the responsibility for maintenance becomes the homeowners once the notice of completion is signed.  A representative of the Housing Authority will meet with the homeowners in the home to go over any questions they might have concerning maintenance.  Once an individual has utilized the maximum amount on their home, the applicant will not be eligible for any other assistance for that particular home for a period of two (2) years.

<< Top of Page

<< Return to Grant Programs

1918 E Gore Blvd • Lawton, OK 73501 • 580.357.4956 • 877.263.7042